Metal Detector Stories



We always love a good story around the campfire,or something to ponder while sitting on the couch having a cold beer.

We'd love to post your stories of your metal detector finds here at the site.So feel free to send us a letter,and share a memory with us while you're out in the field metal detecting.

Whether it's a treasure trove of gold you found,or a disappointing day digging up trash.Every trip out there in the field has a story.So please share yours with us,by contacting us a here -->

Send Us Your Story & Thoughts On Metal Detecting Minnesota (Click)





Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Best Places To Metal Detect For Coins

I'd say your best bet now days for coin shooting,would be property where older homes are.

The problem is,we just can't jump peoples fences tresspassing on their property.

I've seen silly videos that offer hope,and one came with my White's Metal Detector.

It shows them driving around looking for old houses/farms.Then shows them go knock on the persons door asking permission to metal detect on their property.

The people allow them,and act interested in their hobby.

It's really a crock of bologna if you ask me.(the video)

I love metal detecting,but one thing I don't do is drive down roads on private property asking if I can metal detect their lawn/property.Nor would I go door,to door in a city asking if I can metal detect their backyard.

Not in this day,and age with all the nut cases out there.

But back to the subject at hand.

I believe your back yards are the best place to metal detect for coins.

The city,and state parks have been cleaned out for decades now.

Sure you still can find a silver coin,or some jewelry,but assure you that a majority of it has been cleaned out over the years.

Ask your friends,relatives,or co-workers at the break table to do their yards sometime,if they wouldn't mind you doing a little coin shooting.

In Minneapolis alone,and the older neighborhoods there?

It's a gold mine for lost silver coins over the many decades that house was there.

Parks,and beaches are your 2nd best bet,but as I have stressed before,these places are so cleaned out,that you'll be shaking your head in bewilderment wondering why you didn't find more.

But not all parks,and there is always hope.

Speaking for myself,I don't get overly excited checking out a park that I've never detected before.

The property around houses,that does get me excited.

My best finds for coins have always been a house in a town,or city.The best finds always seem to be in the backyard when it comes to jewelry,and coins both front & backyards are equals.

The best places to find coins with a metal detector are near the sidewalks.Which I'm sure most of you already know,and the other spot is where the cloths line hung.

People dried their cloths for decades outside on the cloths line.They may not be any sign of where the cloths line hung,but rest assured every backyard at one time,hung cloths for many years somewhere out in the backyard.

I know this is a little off subject,my next comment.

The redevelopment of land over many years,makes many locations that actually held a good quanity of silver coins,and other relics ,that these locations have been churned up so many times,and fill used,or garbage from 40 years prior in the ground that was relandscaped shortly afterwards as worthless areas to detect.

I was in a small town a few years back,and they redid their city streets in some locations.Ripping out the old road in the 1950's,and its sidewalks.

I snuck in their late in the evenings to detect on the torn out roads,and even dected where they brought all the fill,and even spread it out,because they were creating a trail system with the fill.

I never found a penny..and was sure I'd of turned up something.

One of the reasons why I express that the best place to metal detect for coins is property where a home is located,is it's basically undisturbed land.

Landscaping really has ruined alot of good locations.

Many parks get a makeover at sometime in their life,and so do beaches.Pretty much anwhere for that matter does.

So keep in mind,if you're wondering where to look for the silver coins.It's really all around you.

The problem is it's private property,and most likely that big find you're looking for is on someone elses property right under their nose.

I'll keep updating this article,as thoughts come in.


1 comment:

  1. I googled where to find coins in MN and found your blog (I live in the far western burbs). It's comforting to know that it's not just me who can't find any silver. I've been doing this for 1 year (started last Sept). I've found 2 wheaties out of $64 in clad. So frustrating! I was wondering if it was my equipment as I'm using a bounty hunter 3300 that I received as a gift from my old man. I've found old relics on the family homestead (axe head, old wrenches, old shotgun shell headstamps) but never any silver coins. I've found 3 rings so I'm happy with that. Not sure if my detector misses the silver that a better machine would find or not. Love the rush of finding something interesting. Every hole has the potential to be Xmas morning!

    ReplyDelete