Metal Detector Stories



We always love a good story around the campfire,or something to ponder while sitting on the couch having a cold beer.

We'd love to post your stories of your metal detector finds here at the site.So feel free to send us a letter,and share a memory with us while you're out in the field metal detecting.

Whether it's a treasure trove of gold you found,or a disappointing day digging up trash.Every trip out there in the field has a story.So please share yours with us,by contacting us a here -->

Send Us Your Story & Thoughts On Metal Detecting Minnesota (Click)





Saturday, February 9, 2013

Metal Detecting Greenland

I've been day dreaming on some adventures,and one of them has always been metal detecting in Greenland.

More so for the metorites that crash land on the galciers there,or perhaps permanent snow tundra if that's what it's called there.

Some have looked for relics of when the Vikings landed there,and lived for some time.

I recall watching on PBS many years back,of Viking life in Greenland,and the hardships that they must have endured.

It went on to discuss theories on what happened to them?

They obviously moved on,after years of poor weather,due to a weather pattern change.I can't recall how many years they stayed,but it was at least for a few years I assumed,perhaps alot longer.

I'd have to read up on that again,and probably should have before writing this article,but the article here at hand is not solely about the Vikings.

It's about Metal Detecting Greenland for meteroite debris.

No,I'll never get there to to that.

I don't have the money for something like that.


What?..Not even the price of a plane ticket,and some pennies stuck away for lodging/food?

No..It's paycheck,to paycheck for me.

So adventures such as this,only take place in my daydreams.

Does anyone else like me get that fever to really get out there,and do some serious metal detecting?

I'm so sick of metal detecting the same old sandboxes at the parks.

Yea,yea,yea...I'm more creative than that,and have detected some great hopeful areas.

The bottom line is.."Minnesota is one disapponting state for metal detecting".

I suppose this is why I day dream of places that at least offer some serious possibilities of finding something.

Greenland is one of those places,and the deserts out west here in the U.S.

With the woods,or the fields of brush,and overgrowth...Most of us are forced to metal detect the beaches,or ground that's a freshly mowed grass.

Go off the beaten path,and it's difficult getting a hand shovel through hard rooted ground.

The bugs can be bad,and not the longest season for it either.

We're all stepping over eachother out here,and it's to many chefs in the kitchen.(smile)

So yea,I think alot of us yearn for virgin ground for our units to do their work.That's to find something to put on the wall.

I'm not in this for the money.

I'm in this for the thrill of the find,and I'm just not getting that thrill in my own backyard here in Minnesota anymore.

Maybe someday,I'll live in an area where I can put an end to this day dreaming.

It gets depressing living here,and reading about the possibilities of others have,where they can get out and can actually say every time they here their detector sing.."It could be anything".

Being in an area,where one would even dig up the junk targets they get,because it could be as good as gold.

A Greenland Metal Detector trip would be fun,but it'll be all I can do before I die,to even hit the Nevada Deserts.

Maybe some day :(





1 comment:

  1. Sad to hear the detecting is so bad here. I live in upstate NY where anything can happen and I have found relics and caches of silver coins. The Erie canal.. Old revolutionary war fort foundations.. It's all there my friend!(no need to go to greenland). Im in the St Cloud area for a couple of months and brought my whites III with me. Once the weather clears I'll be out there, I just hope it's not as bad as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete