Metal Detector Stories



We always love a good story around the campfire,or something to ponder while sitting on the couch having a cold beer.

We'd love to post your stories of your metal detector finds here at the site.So feel free to send us a letter,and share a memory with us while you're out in the field metal detecting.

Whether it's a treasure trove of gold you found,or a disappointing day digging up trash.Every trip out there in the field has a story.So please share yours with us,by contacting us a here -->

Send Us Your Story & Thoughts On Metal Detecting Minnesota (Click)





Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Best Time To Metal Detect

I don't think to many of us treasure hunters ask that question,because the best time to metal detect is all the time.

But supposed if I was asked,and had to give the best answer to that question,I'd probably say the spring in the area I live.Soon as the ground unthaws,but all of us enthusiasts live in all the climate zones.

If I lived down in Florida,or say California,or anywhere for that matter that had beach,and was above 40-45 degrees F..I'd be out there,because the winter months would be the best times.You'd have alot of the beaches all to yourself,but always keep in mind to have back up batteries,because the cooler the weather,the faster they drain.So just keep that in mind when heading out early.


I've had some early mornings here when it's 40'ish degrees,or mid 40's,and detector slows down some,and my led graphic screen can act up also.

This is one subject I've really never looked into,and I'm sure they make detectors than you could use in the artic,but I'm just not familiar with metal detecting in cold weather,except the stories I've read about people looking for meteors in Greenland,or various other snow covered tundra.I think some use metal detectors,but mine wouldn't face up to the challenge.

I'm sure these detectors are specially made for cold weather,and honestly speaking this is a subject not brought up very often,but is an important one to those that metal detect for a living,and there are alot of cool mornings out there,and I'm sure some professionals choose dectors that also live up to the standards of their enviroment.

It could come down to battery power.We're all aware of ice fishing,and the fish locaters many anglers use,and they can sit right on the ice,with the most brutal weather thrown at them,and the batter power they have makes them unstoppable no matter what the temperatures can get down to.

But let us stick to the United States here,there is no sense of us geting into subjects of metal detecting the north pole,but that would make an interesting subject,and I bet several have.

The ground is frozen anyways at 32 degrees,and unless you plan on using a pick axe,just consider putting your detector away for the winter,and if you have a LED graph..FORGET IT..LOL..:)

The best time to metal detect is early as ya can,weather permitting of course.

A couple good reasons for that is,less annoying insects to hamper you,and the brush,and grass/foliage is at its minimal.

But off the subject as the seasonal side to all of this,another good time to detect is after events.

Such as Memorial Weeekend,4th of July,and Labor Day weekend.

I'll add more to this article later on this week.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking for myself the nest time is anytime,but do prefere peace,and quiet when I head out detecting.I just hate crowds,and understand the feeling of many who don't like being watched,and become targets themselves from nosey people.I hate crowds following me around.

    ReplyDelete