Metal Detector Stories



We always love a good story around the campfire,or something to ponder while sitting on the couch having a cold beer.

We'd love to post your stories of your metal detector finds here at the site.So feel free to send us a letter,and share a memory with us while you're out in the field metal detecting.

Whether it's a treasure trove of gold you found,or a disappointing day digging up trash.Every trip out there in the field has a story.So please share yours with us,by contacting us a here -->

Send Us Your Story & Thoughts On Metal Detecting Minnesota (Click)





Thursday, April 12, 2012

Good Places To Metal Detect

I've written prior articles to this one,and discussing good places to metal detect in Minnesota.

Now please think about what your asking,and searching for regarding that very question.

First off,that very question has been asked probably by 10,000 people before you,and if there was a page online that listed the best places to detect here in the state,you can rest assured that 10,000 people would have metal detected those spots before you even thought of asking.

So use some common sense when asking that question.

Here is a good example -->

Say I wrote an article on best places to metal detect in Minnesota here on the blog.Even gave good directions,and even added good parking spots with each location.

By the time you got there,all you'd find is evidence of prior metal detector enthusiasts,who left their junk targets in the ground,and every target you dug up would feel like the target was just burried by a squirrel.Then you'd realize someone was there prior to you,and already checked out what it was,and then covered in back up.

Oh yea...Parks,beaches,and various other sites are cleaned out.

I've cleaned parks out of all the silver change,rings,and what have you..I left the pennies because I'm not digging up a hundred of them to make a buck.So rest assured there are plenty of pennies for you at these locations.

You're not going to find much after I comb an area.

Sure,things get overlooked many times,but not 99% of the time.

A person who knows how to work his detector,can easily clean out an area.

Just like your back yard..You want to keep metal detecting that over,and over,and over again?

Imagined it detected 200 times...Would you like to metal detect it again?

Of course not.

Good places to metal detect are places that have not been metal detected...PERIOD!!

Do you think someone is going to write the locations on where the good places are?

They'll write about it afterwards,when they got the place cleaned out.

The best places are wherever you can get away with detecting.

Anywhere you can...I wouldn't recommend farm fields,unless something gives you reason to,or you live in the U.K..or Europe..Well,lets just say I'm talking about Minnesota farm fields.I'm sure down south there could be some ineteresting finds.

I'd say anywhere there is a lot,where people camped,fished,swam,old parks,near old businesses etc..etc..Any where you can get away with it.

I know the laways etc,and I only hear crap reading it online where people are always talking "know the laws".

Just stay off private property.That's all I say.

I've been metal detecting for several years,and I've never had one problem with the cities,police,park workers etc.

I wouldn't go into "any location" during the busy season,and especially if it looks like I could draw some attention to myself,but you could catch me there in the late fall before the ground freezes,without a person knowing.

Another thing is how you conduct yourself,and never carry a shovel..EVER...That looks bad!!

Use a little,but strong handspade..While I slowly walk & detect,I carry the handspade up against my wrist,like a prison inmate carrying a knife to hide it...I look so non threatening while detecting.Anyone going by,never even sees my hand spade.

Make sure you take your target out of the ground carefully.Learn how to pinpoint your target.If all possible keep the hole 2-3-4 inches,and cut out the clump of dirt.Take the treasure,or the pull tab and put it in your pocket,and put the clump back in,and the dirt..Make that spot looks the same before you dug it up.

Early mornings are better also..Before alot of people are out and about.

I say this over,and over again.The best places to metal detect is wherever you can.

Places you find on your own.That's how this game is.

The last place you want to detect is some spot mentioned online..Right?

Because it's been detected many times over.

I was detecting a small beach once,and a truck pulled up with a father,and his 2 sons..I suppose between 17-19 years of age.

They had 3 top of the line "Bounty Hunters",and a sour look seeing me packing up with my "Whites".

We talked some on detecting,and they were very nice folks who were vacationing here in Minnesota.

Anyways..I had the place pretty much cleaned out.

I did return a few days later to that location,just to kill some time before lunch,and detected again...That family REALLY cleaned the place out,and also left the junk in the ground,and I could tell this trash was unburried,and then put back in the hole.

You'll find alot of targets like that in the parks,when you dig up a target,and it seems like the spot you're digging up was dug up before.It was..:)

It's always aluminum,or big iron objects at times that can give give off a good signal.It happens with the best detectors too..Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...It's part of detecting.The junk does get in occasionally.

Detect wherever you can,and always keep thinking on the virgin ground locations.

Now please don't get depressed.I still hit the beaches,and make great finds occasionally.

But once I clean a place out.I don't go back there,and I know there are veterans like me out there in this hobby that do the same thing.What's the point?

But..you never know..:)

Good places to meatl detect are places you come up with yourself.Not locations you'd find online.

10 comments:

  1. A person can usually get by detecting on public grounds,but each city has their own views on the hobby.Always try to seek permission when possible.I know Mn metal detecting has it's challenges,so hang in there and good luck to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best place ive found is in southern Minnesota farm steads that are abandond. find lots of old currency, tokens, iron relics, musket balls, less soda tabs. good luck people of Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great finding an old farm that was abandoned.From time,to time we see some old places along the highway,and it makes a person wonder.One problem I've had is the junk targets cuz so many of them burried their garbage,not to mention the iron objects from buckle harness items,to god know what it is.The problem is so many of these iron object give off good signals.The very farms I got to detect were junk fields.The old house torn down,and they level out the whole place and cover it with 1/2 foot of dirt and lay grass.I was so bumbed.The other problem I had with some old places is they reshingled the roof a few times over a hundred years,and there are so many junk objects,they block out the good targets near houses of outsheds.I found some old cap guns,and more recent change.Just wish I could find a farm where the owners were not junk collectors,and fixed their cars on the front lawn.The iron objects that are large in size,really did a doozy on me.Yes,I dug up a shitload of pull tabs too lol..We still see nice clean farms,and those who collect crap,and every 10 feet is some old transmission busted up burried half in the ground.I still can't get over the nails in the ground,and those older thick nails from 50-90 years ago really pack alot of interference.I have a good detector,but looking for a dime in a pail of nails aint easy lol..Only have been able to hit a couple farms.The one that was 120 years old,never found anything worth writing home about.Glad you found one that paid off..Thanks and good luck to you too my friend!!

      Bill

      Delete
  3. sounds like it makes no sense to enter the hobby here in Mn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just need to be patient, and don't be so eager to take home a boatload of coins. I've had great luck in East Central Minnesota. But I like all farm type relics. Seems like 90% of all MD'ers are just after the coins. And I do carry a shovel, it makes things way easier. I avoid private property.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had some interesting finds way off the beaten path but nothing really worth anything. It is fun getting to know your detector and guessing what's in the ground before pulling the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.
    Metal Detection

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any time you get out of the house for MN detecting is a plus we are so stuck in winter that people should put the phone away for a day and enjoy nature with the family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any time you get out of the house for MN detecting is a plus we are so stuck in winter that people should put the phone away for a day and enjoy nature with the family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any time you get out of the house for MN detecting is a plus we are so stuck in winter that people should put the phone away for a day and enjoy nature with the family

    ReplyDelete